… you called me Punkin. A silly name to be sure, but it made me feel loved and special.
… you worked jobs you didn’t like because you embraced your responsibility to provide for us. You instilled a strong work ethic in us because of it.
… you jumped out of the dark with that terrible mask and scared the breath out of all of us kids. (I keep telling Burrito and Kat that I survived your warped sense of humor, they’ll survive mine!)
… you woke me early on Saturday and took me for a ride on your motorcycle.
… you insisted I call everyone we’d ever known the night I accepted Christ as my Savior. (I know, I exaggerate – I only called the grandparents!) But, it reinforced the memory and importance of that decision.
… you made me do chores around the house, even mowing the grass and cleaning the windows. (Bet you never thought you'd hear thanks for that, did you?) I am a better housekeeper because of those lessons.
… you came to Career Day at school dressed in your flight suit. All the boys thought you were so cool and the girls said you were handsome. I was so proud that you were my dad!
… you remained faithful to Mom and showed your daughters your romantic side. One time you sent Mom a bouquet of flowers while you were in another country and the card that accompanied the flowers simply had your return flight info on it. I remember hoping that I’d have a husband like that some day.
… you’d light firecrackers on the 4th of July, insisted we stand with our hand on our heart for the pledge and participate in the singing of the national anthem. I think of these things almost every time I hang my American flag on the front of my house.
… you brought gifts back from foreign countries. I never doubted that you thought of me while you were away from home. Especially when you'd tell us that you had to give serious consideration to the offer of trading us for a few goats and some bright fabric while in Africa.
… you love my husband as your own son. You fill a void in his life and we both love you for it.
… you are the quintessential granddad to Burrito and Kat. I wish you could hear the love and admiration in their voice when they talk about you to their friends.
… you allowed me to go to school hundreds of miles from home. I am a stronger woman because of it.
… you bought me the awesome, metallic-yellow bicycle – the one with the little wheel on the front, larger wheel on the back and the “v” handle bars. That bike made me one of the “cool kids” in Northgate.
… and for all lessons, experiences and memories too numerous to list.
… you worked jobs you didn’t like because you embraced your responsibility to provide for us. You instilled a strong work ethic in us because of it.
… you jumped out of the dark with that terrible mask and scared the breath out of all of us kids. (I keep telling Burrito and Kat that I survived your warped sense of humor, they’ll survive mine!)
… you woke me early on Saturday and took me for a ride on your motorcycle.
… you insisted I call everyone we’d ever known the night I accepted Christ as my Savior. (I know, I exaggerate – I only called the grandparents!) But, it reinforced the memory and importance of that decision.
… you made me do chores around the house, even mowing the grass and cleaning the windows. (Bet you never thought you'd hear thanks for that, did you?) I am a better housekeeper because of those lessons.
… you came to Career Day at school dressed in your flight suit. All the boys thought you were so cool and the girls said you were handsome. I was so proud that you were my dad!
… you remained faithful to Mom and showed your daughters your romantic side. One time you sent Mom a bouquet of flowers while you were in another country and the card that accompanied the flowers simply had your return flight info on it. I remember hoping that I’d have a husband like that some day.
… you’d light firecrackers on the 4th of July, insisted we stand with our hand on our heart for the pledge and participate in the singing of the national anthem. I think of these things almost every time I hang my American flag on the front of my house.
… you brought gifts back from foreign countries. I never doubted that you thought of me while you were away from home. Especially when you'd tell us that you had to give serious consideration to the offer of trading us for a few goats and some bright fabric while in Africa.
… you love my husband as your own son. You fill a void in his life and we both love you for it.
… you are the quintessential granddad to Burrito and Kat. I wish you could hear the love and admiration in their voice when they talk about you to their friends.
… you allowed me to go to school hundreds of miles from home. I am a stronger woman because of it.
… you bought me the awesome, metallic-yellow bicycle – the one with the little wheel on the front, larger wheel on the back and the “v” handle bars. That bike made me one of the “cool kids” in Northgate.
… and for all lessons, experiences and memories too numerous to list.



4 comments:
What special thoughts for your Dad! My dad died when I was 2 and Mom remarried when I was 5. He accepted me and my two brothers as his own from the git-go. I'm thankful that he is still here to enjoy. He's 75 and in great health.
Have a great week.
Brenda
What a beautiful tribute to a special man in your lives. I could see your love for him and feel his love for you. It is through God's teaching of love and honor for our parents that we demonstrate love and honor to our children. I know your dad is blessed.
I KNOW he had tears in his eyes when he read this. I had forgotten some of the memories you wrote about. Queen Mum
Dawn,
How sweet you are! What a great tribute to your dad! By the way, Punkin is what we have always called our daughter....I think it is cute and fits certain people!
Your friend,
Michele
Post a Comment