Kiddo numero dos arrived home from school this afternoon and was in rare form. Typical preteen girl dramatics. I tried to cut her a little slack, as I knew it was a hard day with tests and all.
"How was your day, Kat, sweetie?" ‘Cause I’m that kind of a mom. I care. I really do. "Terrible." Followed by silence. Quite frankly, I’m surprised her answer had more than one syllable!
I’m not one to give up easily. "How was your test today?" This earned me a glare and more silence as she digs through her backpack. I can feel my eyebrows inching up my forehead. It’s an involuntary muscle thing that happens when I’m faced with rudeness from my kiddos. It’s also the beginning of “the look.”
Silently, she stands and thrusts a paper at me. A note. Top part, Kat’s handwriting. Bottom part, Ms. P’s handwriting. Ms. P is Kat’s language arts teacher. I begin reading…
Dear Mom, I am writing this note to you because I was cheating on the language arts test. I have a D-Hall next Thursday which means I will miss cheerleading next Thursday. I promise I will never do it again. Love, Kat
Mrs. W, I have spoken with Kat about this incident many, many, many times today. I think she should probably stay for detention several more days so she can organize my room, paint the walls a new color, clean up around the school and plant a nice garden for us to enjoy. Ms. P
Okay, in my defense, my brain didn’t comprehend anything beyond I was cheating on the language arts test. The. Mother. Of. All. School. Sins. I need to add that I’ve known Ms. P for a few years and even run into her socially outside of school functions. So, there’s the actual offense committed by Kat. And then, the humiliation of it. Oh, the humiliation! For me, that is.
I’m speechless. And my eyebrows have completely disappeared somewhere up in my hair. Kat begins to laugh. She has a great laugh, by the way. One of those infectious laughs that makes everyone join in even when they don’t know why she’s laughing. Except for me right at that moment.
So, I read the note again. This time, I notice the details of the proposed punishment and that Ms. P’s signature is followed by the date: 4/1/08. Underlined. Hard. Like ballpoint through the paper hard. Comprehension begins to seep through me. Then disgrace. I’ve been had. Twice. In one day. By my kiddos.
Can I just go to bed now?
"How was your day, Kat, sweetie?" ‘Cause I’m that kind of a mom. I care. I really do. "Terrible." Followed by silence. Quite frankly, I’m surprised her answer had more than one syllable!
I’m not one to give up easily. "How was your test today?" This earned me a glare and more silence as she digs through her backpack. I can feel my eyebrows inching up my forehead. It’s an involuntary muscle thing that happens when I’m faced with rudeness from my kiddos. It’s also the beginning of “the look.”
Silently, she stands and thrusts a paper at me. A note. Top part, Kat’s handwriting. Bottom part, Ms. P’s handwriting. Ms. P is Kat’s language arts teacher. I begin reading…
Dear Mom, I am writing this note to you because I was cheating on the language arts test. I have a D-Hall next Thursday which means I will miss cheerleading next Thursday. I promise I will never do it again. Love, Kat
Mrs. W, I have spoken with Kat about this incident many, many, many times today. I think she should probably stay for detention several more days so she can organize my room, paint the walls a new color, clean up around the school and plant a nice garden for us to enjoy. Ms. P
Okay, in my defense, my brain didn’t comprehend anything beyond I was cheating on the language arts test. The. Mother. Of. All. School. Sins. I need to add that I’ve known Ms. P for a few years and even run into her socially outside of school functions. So, there’s the actual offense committed by Kat. And then, the humiliation of it. Oh, the humiliation! For me, that is.
I’m speechless. And my eyebrows have completely disappeared somewhere up in my hair. Kat begins to laugh. She has a great laugh, by the way. One of those infectious laughs that makes everyone join in even when they don’t know why she’s laughing. Except for me right at that moment.
So, I read the note again. This time, I notice the details of the proposed punishment and that Ms. P’s signature is followed by the date: 4/1/08. Underlined. Hard. Like ballpoint through the paper hard. Comprehension begins to seep through me. Then disgrace. I’ve been had. Twice. In one day. By my kiddos.
Can I just go to bed now?


3 comments:
Hi, thanks for visiting my blog. This is really great! Don't feel bad about April Fool's. I am usually the Queen of April fool's....it is after all my month, but yesterday I did not feel in the pranking spirit. My oldest however thought she would give it a whirl and it turned out to be rather mean....She said "you look nice today"....I said "thanks babe" .....she said "April Fool's"....I said "gasp"....she started laughing hysterically, that is until her dad told her how mean that was and that this was not the purpose of April Fool's. Is it bad when your 13 year old hurts your feelings?
Truly enjoyed "reading all about it" in a way that only you can express yourself. You truly have the gift!! Barb C
I can see you have lots of "rolling" to do. Two teachers no less. Remember the cheap kind is harder to clean up. :)
Post a Comment