
Twitter.
I've resisted it. Truly I have. And it hasn't been hard since I didn't have a texting plan on my cell phone until last week.
I mean, really...
Do I need to be texted when my neighbor finds a great buy on toilet paper? When my friend from church decides to boil eggs for her salad? Do I need to know that a fellow PTA mom is up from her afternoon nap?
Ummm... no! I'm blissful in my ignorance, thank you very much!
Until this morning.
Unexpectedly, an event in my life made me dash home, jump on the computer and set up a Twitter account. I'll bet you're thinking, "Wow, it must really be something special!"
And you'd be right!
This morning, I dropped Burrito off at our church where he and 30 other students and 9 adults loaded up in three vans to head to Birmingham, Alabama.
Once there, they are partnering with World Changers for five days on projects that include painting, roofing, building and repairing decks and doors, and yard work, as well as walking the neighborhoods and sharing Christ with those they meet.So what about this event made me run home and set up a Twitter account?
All cell phones have been left at home during this trip, cutting off communication with our kids. And that's okay. I understand that they need to be immersed in what they are doing. Set apart so that God is able to stretch them beyond what they think they can accomplish. All without the security net of being able to "phone home."
Just before the last kisses where planted and the final wave given, our youth pastor announced that they had set up a Twitter account to keep us all up-to-date on what was happening while they are traveling and working. (I may or may not have actually heard angels singing at that moment.)
Would you join me in praying for Burrito, the team, their projects, and the people they encounter?
I'll be posting their Twitter updates on my sidebar as they are sent. This way, you will also know what is going on and can pray appropriately for them.


6 comments:
Hi Dawn. I've set up an account a long time ago and couldn't figure out the point. Maybe I'm too old to get it.
My daughter was to leave for her inner city missions trip today too...but she is sick! It is not too far away, so hope to bring her to them in a few days.
hope Burrito has a good time and learns tons about God's love for him and others.
I pray for the team and the encounters they will have.
Prayers sent!
Birmingham Alabama.... hmmmmm.... I think I have heard of that place before :) Hope he stays away from Vulcan - that dude'll moon you :D
Seriously though, I pray that they will have experiences that they will remember for the rest of their lives. I'm proud of your son for his service to God.
That's awesome Dawn! So excited for him. Will be praying too.
I just ventured into Twitter too... I don't completely get it, but it is fun. What's your name there, so I can find you?
Definitely on my knees for that team - WOW what a Kingdom impact they're about to have.
Blessings,
Carolynn
This made me laugh. The twitter part of course. Everyone seems to be joining in on Twitter. Even our church tweets now.
What a great experience for Burrito! The encouragrams are a neat idea!
Post a Comment