Thursday, July 9, 2009

Confessions: How do you do it?

I am doing something a little different this year in my quiet time. I am reading the Bible through - which I've done before in various ways - but this time in chronological order in the New Living Translation. It has been awesome! The New Testament flows pretty easily as it's organized in most versions of the Bible, but the Old Testament can seem rather disjointed in its typical ordering. It's been so satisfying to read it this way and to enjoy the flow of it.

I'm especially appreciative of reading the Psalms as they fall into the events. The Psalms are always great to read, but even more so when you have a fresh understanding of the events that inspired them.

Because of reading the Bible this way, I really cannot skip a day's reading. It would be kind of like studying U.S. history starting in the colonial days and then jumping into the current events without knowing what happened in between! It's been a really good external motivator to keep up with my reading. On the rare occasion that I have missed a day, I double up - usually by trying to find two times in the day to read.

So, how do you do it? Cover to cover? The "flip and point" method? By genre?

3 comments:

j said...

Don't be ashamed of me but I have never read all of the Old Testament. I get so lost. But I have read all of the New Testament. I need to take a page out of your book and start taking daily quiet time.

a Tonggu Momma said...

I skip around a lot now, but a couple of years ago I did read the Bible cover to cover, as you are doing now. And I've done BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) for a couple of years - Moses, John, Matthew, Acts and Genesis.

Genijer said...

I have read the bible once...did bible studies with my children...it's time once again to read and study.

I wished we lived closer. It would be nice to discuss our reading.