Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Gift of Words

A message from my dad on my Facebook page:

Hi, Dawn. Wish we could be there with you today. 45 years ago today, Mom was in Ohio having you. As usual, I wasn't home. I was in Colorado Springs flying the Air Force Academy Cadets to Washington D.C. for LBJ's inauguration. I took emergency leave and was home the next day. What a darling, beautiful surprise when I got there. Happy Birthday. Hope you're having a special day.....Love You, Dad and Mom

I've always known my dad was away with the Air Force when I was born and that he had to get emergency leave to come home. But, I'd never known what he was doing at that point in his military career.

Words to treasure!

6 comments:

Joanne : The Simple Wife said...

So very cool. Happy birthday!

Steph said...

Wow! I'm so glad he shared that with you---very special indeed...

Stef said...

What a sweet Dad you have :)

Amber said...

How sweet! Happy Happy Birthday!

j said...

Those truly are words to treasure. I know you are proud of your father for his service.

Happy belated Birthday dearest Dawn! I hope that your day was wonderful.

dawn said...

cool story! isn't it funny how you could grow up not knowing something that you'd think they would have told you.

Very sweet.